Re: VPN hardware

On Sunday, Dec 29, 2002, at 21:21 US/Pacific, Geoff Sweet wrote:

Well without saying which direction the slow file transfer is I can only
offer you this: you might want to look at your cable connection, and how
large of files you are opening. Almost all Cable modem connections at
up-link capped. Mine for instance is up-capped at 256Kbps, and only 6
months ago was 128! Consequently with the additional overhead of VPN I
don't know that opening anything over about 100K in size would be very
speedy.

I would look into this issue first. According to my tests between a Pentium 133 and an Athlon 1533 Dallas' hardware endpoints may not be the problem. His details are considerably lacking, though.

As far as encryption algorithm goes blowfish was twice as fast as 3DES here.

Greg