(OT - sorta) SMTP proxy for spam

Hi all,
(Off Topic - sorta - but considering the recent spam discussions here
and it is about a way to fight spam maybe I won't get burned too bad)
I came across a transparent spam filtering SMTP proxy at
http://assp.sourceforge.net/
It is similar to other spam filters in that it uses whitelists and
Bayesian filtering to stop spam at the SMTP server but works differently
than procmail recipes. It looks like it will work on any operating
system that will run perl and it doesn't require the use of databases
from outside your system. Could someone more qualified than me (I'm not
knowledgeable about mail transport) give an opinion on this software.
Thanks.
Happy Holidays
Mike
.