Re: "Could not open pipe:" - custom kernel hint?

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:51:26PM -0800, Ted Unangst wrote:

> You hit your resource limit.  Fix it by running limit or ulimit.  Possibly
> also in login.conf.  man login.conf and sh or csh.
>
> There's also a sysctl called maxfiles, which you might be bumping into.
> man 3 sysctl describes most of the options for sysctl.

Hey Ted,

	Hmmmm, I _did_ consider that before posting, and I
checked 'ulimit' as the user the daemon is running as, with an
"unlimited" result.  Because these are each separate processes
spawned off, they shouldn't be hitting any shell-specific limits
(bash2-static in this case).

	However, I believe you hit the nail on the head with
login.conf.  I didn't realize that maxproc-cur and openfiles-cur
were as low as they are by default.  I'm guessing I'm hitting
the wall with one of them.  I'll try adjusting them upwards a
bit.

	That's probably the end of my problem, but if anyone
has further thoughts, they're more than welcome.  Thanks a bunch!

Benny

"Discharge of a nuclear weapon shall be deemed a warlike act,
even if accidental."       -- My homeowners insurance policy