Re: Kernel Panic, how to save trace output

"A. Farber" wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:39:32AM -0500, Nick Holland wrote:
> > As Henning indicated, if you have reason to believe this is a recuring
> > problem, it is worth setting up a serial console...
> >    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon
> >
> > (yes, this note was a cheesy way of saying "new FAQ article" 8-)
>
> that's the question I've been waiting for. I'd like
> to setup this thing at my i386 PC at home (so that
> I can finally sell my 3D-video card ;-) but what
> hardware is needed for that? Is it just a serial cable
> like the one used to play 2-player Doom in the middle
> ages of computing? And what do you do on the "master"
> side in order to use it?
>
> Thanks
> Alex

funny i was just remembering the long freaky cable with like 5 adapters
(25m-25f-9f-etc) i used for 2-player doom.  it's the same one (i don't
remember exactly though if i used a null-modem adapter for that or
not-in any case for the serial console you DON'T use one).

minicom has worked for me (i think what you mean by "master side," and
also, as far as i know, some i386's won't boot without a video card.

i hope this helps
Jon

Visit your host, monkey.org