Re: Help translating a command from linux!!!

"Snr. Bonaparte" <rarmente1_(_at_)_yahoo_(_dot_)_com>
> Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:27:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Snr. Bonaparte" <rarmente1_(_at_)_yahoo_(_dot_)_com>
> Subject: Help translating a command from linux!!!
> To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
>
> Hey guys,
>
>   In linux I use to run this command:
>
> find . | xargs chmod +x
>
> whenever I wanted to assign attributes to a huge
> number of files and folders on a filesystem, but this
> doesnt work in openbsd "I get the error unterminated
> quote." Can anybody help me translate this?

You probably have filenames with spaces or other interesting characters
in them.  If you had the same files in linux or solaris, you'd have the
same problems (tho perhaps a different error message); this is not
at all openbsd specific.

For find/xargs, the simple fix is to use -print0 & xargs -0.
"man find xargs" for more information.  This works on linux too.

If you just want to do a recursive chmod/chown, use -R.  "man chmod
chown" for more information.  This will generally be faster and safer
than using find.  Gnu also suports this, so this should work in nearly
all linux distributions as well.  (And it even works in Solaris.)

Why do you want to turn on the x bit on random regular files?

				-Marcus Watts

Visit your host, monkey.org