Re: Strange Request.

I'd have to agree with Craig on this.

I don't know the kind of people he has to convince, but I've worked with
with a Solaris administrator (old-time Solaris guy) who would -NOT-
listen to reason of any sort.

If it was free, or small it was bad. If it's going to go in our rack, it
has to be big, it has to be ugly, and it has to be expensive.

I installed OpenBSD in two places; my desktop and a test lab (where OBSD
was acting as a proxy -and- NAT (it was a test lab for our app)). It was
absolutely absurd the things he'd say to the PHB's to try to to get rid
of it where it was working perfectly.

"We're a business, we can't use freeware"
"It's called Packet Filter because it only filters packets. It isn't a
firewall."
"It crashes too much."

You can't reason with these people. I don't know if they're scared, or
just REALLY want to use their own favourite OS.

I think if you had the choice to let "them" know whether it was free or
not, it'd help a lot (ie, no free on the CD). Had this person thought I
paid $250 for this, there's a much better chance that he'd deem it
worthy to do NAT for a bunch of junk machines.

Maybe I'm not a very good evangelist for Open Source, but I don't really
care if the uninformed masses know what free software is and what it
means or not.

I am interested however in having OpenBSD in as many places I can get it
(where it makes sense) for the simple fact that big businesses spend big
money. If I tell my PHB that it's OpenBSD that lets him connect to the
network when he's in Hong Kong and we need to buy a couple of CD's and a
support contract, that's money in the bank for my favorite OS.

Chris

(I realize OBSD doesn't offer support contracts, but the people who do
get the money, who then go buy OBSD stuff and do thier own thing for
OBSD.. etc, etc.)

--
Chris Cameron
UpNIX Internet Administrator