ftp-proxy

Am I missing something?  Does ftp-proxy ONLY proxy to the local
machine?  I thought you could set it up on your firewall, and have it
proxy into your private network to another ftp server.  However nothing
I read talks about it that way.  So is that right, ftp-proxy only acts
to proxy to the ftpd server running on the local machine?  Seems kinda
funny to me, that you would use your firewall as your ftp server...

If I am mistaken, can someone direct me to a useful link?

Geoff Sweet