Setting resolution of screen 0?

I've been through the FAQ, man pages, and web, and still can't figure
out how to change the text resolution (from 80x25 to 80x50) of screen 0.
Currently, I've put this in my rc.local:

for termnum in 1 2 3 4 5; do
  wsconscfg -dF $termnum
  wsconscfg -t 80x50 $termnum
done

That takes care of all the other VTs.  However, when I attempt
'wsconscfg -dF 0' I get the following error message:

wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_DELSCREEN: Device busy

I thought this might be because of syslogd logging to the console.  To
fix that I put this in the syslog.conf:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit    /dev/ttyC5

After that, I'm still getting the error message.

So, is there any way to make sure that screen 0 (/dev/ttyC0) starts at
80x50, or am I chasing a lost cause?

This is all on 3.2 stable, celeron 1GHz.

Regards,

  dave

Visit your host, monkey.org