Re: Collective OT BIOS help AND an aside smtp question

Quoting Jon Quiros (jquiros_(_at_)_teahead_(_dot_)_net):
> Elijah Savage III wrote:
> > I have been terribly pleased with openbsd 3.2 I was using it as a mail
> > gateway with postifx on a pentium pro 200 with 1 gig of memory serving
> > about 3800 users on the network. Well I wanted to add a larger harddrive
> > than what I have in it now only 6.4 gig. Well the machine would not see
> > it and for some reason after hours and hours of trying I can't get a

I used to use a (30MHz) DecStation to "gateway" mail for 20k people.
It had 64MB of RAM and 2 2GB disks (one boot, the other /var/spool/,
swap on both).

The PentiumPro/200 seems about right (cept for TLS support).

I'm trying to figure out why, for mail in transit, you'd WANT
more than 6 GB.  Why you'd need 1GB of RAM.

I'm coming up short.

I usually have to fight clients who want a 2 or 4 way machine
and inevitably go with cheap disks.  I've found that a 2 Way
E250 with good good hardware RAID doesn't blink at relaying
40k messages per hour to/from the Internet (many outgoing
messages will sit in queue and many may never get delivered).
The iostats and vmstats on the machine show capacity to spare.

Me?  I might get another machine, with decent disks, swipe 512MB
from the first and have redundancy.

Visit your host, monkey.org