Re: Diskless Booting Of Intel Boxen - PXE ?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 jan_(_dot_)_niemann_(_at_)_tu-bs_(_dot_)_de wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 12:56:28AM -0500, Marina Brown wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> >    Has anyone had any success in doing a diskless boot of OpenBSD
> > on boxes with fxp  or sis cards ? I've been looking through diskless(8)
> > and trying various solutions with no success other than getting my
> > Nic to get an ip addres through DHCP.
> >
> > What options are there( ways around ) using PXE ?
>
> i386 ? try gnu grub.
> it can be loaded and executed via pxe.
> maybe it can load openbsd properly ?
>
> jan

I've done it, even posted about what I did on "misc" in December, 2001.  I
used the PXEGRUB that was hacked by Cedric ? to support booting using the
default "bsd" boot file across tftp.

If you follow th instructions in "diskless" you should be able to get a
diskless system running OpenBSD.  Oh yeah, you can't compile GRUB on an
OpenBSD system, ya gotta use a Linux system.

PXE support is not a priority of the current OpenBSD developers.  I'm sure
if someone presented working PXE boot code to core, that it might get
included.

diana

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public.  - Theodore Roosevelt

For PGP Public key
http://www.swcp.com/~deichert/pgp_public_key.txt

Visit your host, monkey.org