Re: Wipe Hard Drives

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 08:54:04AM -0600, Joseph W. Shaw II wrote:

> The DOD has three clasifications  for the removal of information
> from physical media: Cleared, Sanitized and Destroyed.

Reminds  me  of  a  call  I  took once  while  I  was  working  at
1-800-SOS-APPL.  It was  from somebody who enhanced  video for one
of the TLAs. His PowerMac 9500  (or something similar) would neeed
warranty repair,  but he  couldn't send  it offsite  without first
making  damn sure  there  wasn't  anything at  all  stored on  the
machine. Removing the hard drive and RAM wasn't a problem, but the
regs said he also had to wipe  the PRAM and there was concern that
the standard cmd-opt-p-r at boot wouldn't be good enough....

For  a  hobby, the  guy  digitally  re-mastered  old LPs  and  wax
cylinders.  All in all, a rather memorable call.

Cheers,

b&

--
Ben Goren
 mailto:ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com