Re: OpenBSD Questions

"Mike" <massey_(_at_)_rmci_(_dot_)_net> writes:
> c:\cdrtools\mkisofs
> I get the ISO file and burned it but it will not boot. The PC is set to
> boot from CDROM and works with other distros.

Actually ordering CD's probably is your best option.  But, for
the sake of completeness:

I doubt you will get much sympathy here for trying to burn CDs
from windows.  There are so very many ways this could go wrong,
and most of them are things completely outside the openbsd world
and which would be difficult for anyone on any list to diagnose,
*Especially* with the level of detail you have provided.

Just for starters:
	you are burning files from dos or windows.
		Have they undergone carriage-return/life-feed conversion?
		Did you use "md5" to compare checksums on downloaded files?
	you are burning with an unknown dos or windows version of mkisofs
		Is it recent enough?
	Did you try looking at the CD you burned under RH or windows
		to verify completeness?  Did you use "md5" to compare
		checksums on files after burning?
	you are burning a 2.88M floppy image onto your CD.
		Does the target machine support 2.88M floppy images on CD?
		Rather than using the 2.88M floppy image, you might
		try one of the 1.44M floppy images instead - you'll
		have to review your hardware setup to determine which
		is most appropriate.
	You specified an upper-case pathname "I386", but the ftp
		site would have used "i386".  Were you completely
		consistent in all usage?  Windows won't care; but Unix
		might.  I wouldn't expect this to affect booting, but I
		don't know how far you actually got.

I don't think anybody on this list wants to know the complete list of
what you did, but it's possible that if you posted the *last* message
or few lines of output from your unsuccessful boot, that people here
would have more interesting things to say about what may have gone
wrong.  (Generally speaking, nobody wants to diagnose problems that
contain the phrase "it didn't work" with no other clue.)

The directions you quote seem to come from:
	http://openbsddiary.org/makeiso.html
(which is another detail you failed to mention in your note.)  Have you
asked David Norman for help?  It's possible some part of his directions
are faulty or incomplete; certainly he doesn't mention using md5 to
check file integrity.  (Perhaps he shouldn't have to do this, any
windows user ought to anticipate the possibility of file corruption
when uploading or downloading any binary file.)

For what it's worth, the options you gave mkisofs look alright.  I've
used mkhybrid -D -a -P xxx -p xxx to make bootable CDs; you used
mkisofs -v and put boot.catalog in a weird place; I don't think any of
these would make any material difference.

You say you are moving from RH.  Did you try burning cds under
RH?  You did imply you were writing CDs daily w/ RH.

OpenBSD doesn't seem to have "isoinfo", but I think this was
one of several low-level tools available under debian linux at
least (and perhaps RH) that could look at iso-9660 data structures
at a lower level.  You might locate and try running these tools,
under RH if you have no better alternative.

If you have ethernet, rather than installing from CD, you might find it
easier to do a network install -- make a bootable floppy, boot from
that, then follow the directions as appropriate.  If your ethernet
doesn't have world connectivity, you might have to have a local
machine w/ ftpd or httpd available.  Perhaps you can use RH to
bootstrap your efforts.

"Mike" <massey_(_at_)_rmci_(_dot_)_net> also writes:
> Also: How do I burn the rest of the CD's? I have not come accross that yet<G>

Unless you have plans to boot non-i386 machines, and figure your time
is cheaper than giving openbsd $ <ie, you're unemployed> I wouldn't
worry about this.  The main thing on the other CD's is the various
other architectures, plus source.  You might well want to grab source
tarballs and burn those.  These don't need to be bootable, so any
format is fine so long as you can mount them and do "tar tvfz"
successfully.  Actually, the source is almost certainly still small
enough that you can squeeze it onto your i386 bootable cd with room
to spare.

				-Marcus Watts

Visit your host, monkey.org