[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Running while upgrading
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Running while upgrading
- From: Henning Brauer <lists-openbsd_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de>
- Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:11:52 +0100
- Mail-followup-to: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:43:35PM -0600, Ted Goodridge wrote:
> On Thursday 07 November 2002 12:15 pm, Alex Kirk wrote:
> > > It's in your best interest to use the binary sets that are provided. It
> > > is possible to upgrade an online server with only a reboot's worth of
> > > downtime.
> > Since I bought the CD, should I just extract the sets from there, a la:
> > #cd /
> > #tar -xvzpf /mnt/cdrom/3.1/base.tgz
> > ...
> That is NOT possible. In fact the FAQ states not to upgrade in this fashion.
> You must boot with the new kernel before upgrading the binary sets.
This is possible and works just fine.
The FAQ correctly states that you need to reboot with the new kernel before