Re: Can't we just get rid of the csh altogether? [WAS Re: PHP Fla

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 07:13:24AM +0000, Andrew Basterfield wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 17:54:55 +1100 (Australia/ACT)
>Darren Reed <avalon_(_at_)_coombs_(_dot_)_anu_(_dot_)_edu_(_dot_)_au> wrote:
>
>> In some mail from Jonathan Walther, sie said:
>
>> > I would be thrilled if bash could be added to the base system, or if
>> > ksh could be modified to have more bash features for interactive
>> > use. I like using the up arrow key to get to the previous command,
>> > for instance. And I love the programmable tab completion; I use it a
>> > lot.
>>
>> set -o emacs
>
>and...
>
>$ bind ^I="complete-list"
>
>for filename completion on TAB
>
>doesn't OpenBSD ksh have these compiled in set by default?

Thank you Andrew, you have just made ksh a lot more usable for me.  How
does ksh handle programmable completion?  With bash programmable
completion, I have it set up so that when I type "man foo<tab>", it
completes the list of manpages that start with "foo".  Or if I'm editing
a latex file, then want to view it, it is really handy to be able to go
completion, I can use a single tab, even though I have the filename
letter-to-my-mother-for-april with a whole bunch of suffixes like tex,
dvi, log, aux, and the like.

I wonder how feasable it would be to move the interactive stuff out of
ksh proper into a dynamically loadable module, then it could stay lean
and mean for shell scripting, yet be luxurious for interactive use?

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw_(_at_)_reactor-core_(_dot_)_org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2