Re: only ssh access - new kernel

I've done this several times how as new patches are released and before
building anything else I follow the FAQ and compile, install, and
reboot the system so it is running a new kernel with all of the
currently available patches.

I only use the GENERIC kernel and have never had a problem with a system
not booting up as long as the kernel was compiled and installed
properly. Your existing programs will run with the new kernel and it's
recommended that you always build a new kernel first before compiling
before proceeding to compile the parts of OpenBSD.

An excellent man page that I was referred to by others that was very
helpful was "release(8)" - "man release". It has instructions for
compiling a new kernel, system, and even making your own release
tarballs. I've copied the listed commands from the "release" man pages
to shell scripts so I can run each step from a different shell script.

I was a little nervous doing my first kernel compile but I just followed
the steps in the documentation to build a GENERIC kernel and everything
worked without any surprises for me.

Good Luck,

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm_(_at_)_attbi_(_dot_)_com

Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
another for which it wasn't.

Visit your host, monkey.org