Re: Erasing disks with OpenBSD

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 12:50:38 -0400, Tim Donahue wrote...

; I have a server that I recently replaced, and I would like to erase the
; disks from that server to keep as cold spares for my RAID arrays that use
; the same type of disk.  I erased the partitions with disklabel, but would
; like to wipe any information on the disks, not for security, but rather so
; that the disk is a blank slate if it is ever needed.
;
; Can someone point me in the right direction, for what I would like to do?  I
; thought that I could used dd to do this, but after reading the man page on
; it, it seems that dd is only really used for imaging...

 # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<disk partition>

You can even do it from a trinux floopy.

Visit your host, monkey.org