Re: 3.2 poster...

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:19:01PM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > I also didn't reaize that this might help fund the project and the developers.
> Spending time to find a mug (or whatever) manufacturer that will accept
> to produce OpenBSD items that only 5 or 10 people will buy is not going
> to fund anything. By keeping the number of items relatively small, there
> is more hope of doing real profit from this.
Wim has already some ideas about the mugs. We have discussed different
scenarii/make/models etc during FOSDEM and LSM this year. Now I'm not really
sure that only 5 or 10 people will buy mugs. How about asking the people ? like
for example putting a poll in OJ, asking friends (what I did), asking during
expos & such etc.

> Not all the OpenBSD items you can currently purchase have generated
> profit. For example, the ``cute¨' 2.8 t-shirt (#12) did not sell well.
Shit happens. and the "cute" shirt is not the only example. I still have 10 CDs
of 3.1 that won't sell and there is a truckload of 2.8 CDs as well in this part
of the world.

> Once again, if we end up doing too many items that noone buys, I don't
> see how this would help fund the project.
Agreed. But that doesn't mean to "freeze" the goodies tree. Maybe some
products should be discontinued and replaced by others, more trendy stuff. For
example, while there is no pink/green wireframe girly shirts on the website, we
have sold a *lot* of them during FOSDEM 2002 and LSM 2002.

It should also be noted that in Europe, and particularly in France it is
difficult to get nerdy items (or sweet .mil green girly shirts that please all
the french chicks). Just see the numbers and you'll get the idea.

Now maybe this thread should continue on advocacy_(_at_)__(_dot_)_

--
Saad Kadhi -- [saad_(_at_)_docisland_(_dot_)_org] [bsdguy_(_at_)_docisland_(_dot_)_org]
[pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]

Visit your host, monkey.org