Re: an OpenBSD hard drive on a FreeBSD machine?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:53:56PM +1000, Christopher Vance wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:56:34AM -0700, tedu wrote:
> : "If you have a disk formatted with an a6
> : partition, maybe the best thing is to edit the partition table to a5 so
> : FreeBSD can use it."
>
> <context arch="i386">
>
> OpenBSD uses whole-disk disklabels, while FreeBSD uses
> per-MBR-partition disklabels.
>
> If it works right, it'll be because you've two separate disklabels,
> one in the form required by each OS.
>
> I had problems putting OpenBSD into an extended partition on a disk
> which already had FreeBSD in a primary partition, because OpenBSD kept
> trying to use the FreeBSD disklabel, rather than looking into the
> extended partition for its own.  (The OpenBSD root was on another
> disk.)  My eventual solution was to swap partitions between disks.  I
> seem to remember that this was in the 3.1 era.

I have a very successful install working with OpenBSD on partition 1,
and FreeBSD on partition 2.  The OpenBSD installation only sees the
OpenBSD partition table, while the FreeBSD installation can access both.
It finds its root at ad0s2, and I can mount /dev/ad0s1a on /mnt to get
my OpenBSD root.

I think I possibly could get my FreeBSD slices visible to OpenBSD by
adding them to the OpenBSD disklabel explicitly, but I haven't needed
that ability yet.

-andy

Visit your host, monkey.org