Re: cron daemon doesn't start

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Scott Francis wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 03:59:47PM +0200, is04607_(_at_)_salleURL_(_dot_)_edu said:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I have an openbsd3.1-stable machine. Every time I reboot the machine it
> > starts all my daemons except cron. I have no fisical access to the machine
> > so I can just look at the logs, but there is no information about cron
> > daemon there. It is very curious because when I login on the machine and
> > launch the cron daemon it starts without problems. Any idea about what the
> > hell is going on here?
>
> At the risk of asking the obvious question, did you check to see if /etc/rc
> had been modified? Have the permissions on /usr/sbin/cron been modified?
> ----
> $ grep -i cron /etc/rc
> echo -n ' cron';                cron
> ----

Cron daemon is lauched in /etc/rc. And it has the right permisions:

lupus:~ $ ls -acl /usr/sbin/cron
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  bin  32768 Jul 18 10:43 /usr/sbin/cron

> What does /var/log/messages (or wherever you're logging to) say wrt cron?
> Anything mentioned in dmesg? Have you rebuilt or upgraded your system
> recently? Changed anything else?

There is no information in logs (cron, messages,...) and dmesg don't show
me anything about it.

I haven't rebuilt or upgraded  my system recently.....
But why cron can't be launched at start time and I can launch it without
problems after system boot?

Visit your host, monkey.org