Re: apop or pop3 over ssl

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 06:41:20PM +0200, paula wrote:
> heho
>
> is there any port/package for a pop3 or imap server using ssl encrytion or at least a pop3 server with apop support. popa3d and solidpop do not work on my 3.0 box. popa3d finds no mail in the usermailbox and solidpop says:
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: libc.so.28.0: minor version >= 3 expected, using it anyway
> so there is no apop support in solidpop.

If you are brave and need good IMAP server, use Cyrus IMAPd,
more info at http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
It supports SASL as authentication/authorization mechanism, SSL encryption,
quotas, concurent access to mailbox contents and many other nifty features.
It also supports POP3.
I'm currently testing development version of Cyrus which has great support
for virtual domains hosting and it works like a charm in a quite complex
environment (using KerberosV authentication/authorization).

Now, to APOP. If you do need security, consider using some other auth
mechanism (RFC1731/RFC1734), or use SSL encryption. The biggest disadvantage
of APOP is that it requires password to be stored on the server in plain-text.

--
Pavel Korovin

Visit your host, monkey.org