Re: Shutdown for dumb users

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:46:23PM +0700, Egbert Krook wrote:
> > Putty solution is great but I think it has some problems. Your clients
> > will have root access to your machine, maybe that is not a problem for
> > you. In the other hand they will have a public key without password, that
> Just put the user in the operator group and the user can shutdown the
> machine without root access.

in "the old days" Unix systems often had a special account, "shutdown",
that was used for this purpose (alongside "date" and other such accounts).

You can make it with or without password, and the profile of that user
can be set up to shut down the machine.

(I like the CGI solution best. It's also the easiest to set up since
it doesn't interfere too much with user expectations - done similar
things already).

Best,
--Toni++

Visit your host, monkey.org