Re: Shutdown for dumb users

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Rick Wash wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:21:53AM +1000, Craig Hammond wrote:
> > 1. Have some program on their Windoze boxes that can logon to the box,
> > send the shutdown command and exit.
>
> Putty can do this.
>
> Set up a putty saved session.  Make it use an RSA key with no password
> as the authentication key.  Set the command to execute as "shutdown".
> Then create a shortcut to the putty binary, edit the properties of the
> shortcut to change the program name to "putty @saved-session-name".
> Clicking that link will automatically open the saved session, which
> will not require a password to login, and will execute shutdown
> automatically.

Putty solution is great but I think it has some problems. Your clients
will have root access to your machine, maybe that is not a problem for
you. In the other hand they will have a public key without password, that
can't be good at all.

Anyway, I think this article can point you in the way to setup a serial
button which will powerdown your openbsd box:

http://linuxfocus.org/English/January2001/article186.shtml

It is tested on linux boxes, but it might works perfectly with openbsd.
Please, put your experiences here if you try it.

bye.