802.11b & openbsd

Hello. This is my first post to misc@

I've got a question I was hoping could be answered/explained here.

At home I have a Linksys Wireless Cable/DSL Router with built in print server... for those of you that are unfamiliar with these, it's a model that doesn't come with fancy antennas or anything, you simply need to plug in a standard Linksys wireless card for it to work.

I don't know too much about 802.11b ... but this got me thinking. If a regular linksys wireless card can be used on the router to service a network in infrastructure mode... why couldn't some software be developed that would ~emulate the router and do the same thing?

A while ago I tried setting up an Ad-Hoc network between my OpenBSD comp with an Orinocco card and my Win2000 comp with a Cisco card and it absolutely did not work. Someone told me it was because the OSs had to be the same, someone else told me the wireless card brands had to be the same, a third person told me Ad-Hoc networks just plain don't work well... I'm still not sure why it didn't work, but it wouldn't matter very much if someone would be able to write some software that would be able to get the just plain get the card on the OBSD side working in infrastructure mode!

If anyone has any insight into this topic it would be greatly appreciated! --Michael Anuzis