Re: ld.so losing directories? (& other questions)

On 2002-07-24 12:32:27 +0100, David Given wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 13:36, Saad Kadhi wrote:
> [...]
> > that's weird. what version of openbsd are you running ? have you tried to
> > "force" this by adding "/usr/local/lib" as arg for shlib_dirs in
> /etc/rc.conf ?
>
> 3.0. shlib_dirs is empty, but I've just added /usr/local/lib. I didn't
> know about that.
>
> Perhaps /usr/local/lib was in the cache when I originally installed it,
> and nothing had rebuilt the cache until a few days ago when something
> broke? But wouldn't the cache need to be rebuilt every time I install a
> port?

It does so when a port is installed. You'll see that some ports ask you
to add a directory to shlib_dirs. This is only so it'll be added at the
next boot.

> > > Can anyone make any informed comments on BSD's buffer cache vs. Linux
> > > buffer cache, and anything I might be able to tweak to improve things?
> > man options(4) and look for BUFCACHEPERCENT
>
> Defaults to 5%, it says. I shall investigate. Ta.
>
> (Is that the minimum percentage? Surely BSD doesn't use a fixed size
> buffer cache?)

Yes, BSD does use a fixed (max)size cache. This is a feature.

Have a nice day
                                 Morten

--
Morten Liebach <m_(_at_)_kallisti_(_dot_)_dk>, webpages at http://kallisti.dk/