single-user mode scripting

I am running OpenBSD 3.1 and working on a failover firewall where a
secondary machine takes over the address for a primary in the event of a
failure.  In order to set the MAC I have to take the system down into
single-user mode, set the MAC and then bring the system back up to start
services again.  Ideally, this should all be accomplished with a script,
but I am unsure how to do this since switching to single will kill all
processes.  I think there is some way to do this with init, but I can't
find any info on this.  Essentially I want to accomplish this:

Kill init (switch to single user mode)

Sea the MAC addresses start init (regain multi-user and config interfaces)

After init starts we apply filter rules, etc. (we already accomplished
this)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

http://www.microsoft.com/business/default.asp
--- enterprise tools for enterprise tools ---

Visit your host, monkey.org