Re: Netatalk Server

At 1:37 PM -0700 7/9/02, Ben Goren wrote:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 03:53:24PM -0400, Kit Halsted wrote:

 is anyone using  OpenBSD as an AppleShare server  in a heavy-use
 environment?

Not currently, and not OpenBSD, but several years ago I had a 486 using Linux (probably Red Hat 4.1) working beautifully as an AppleShare server for a lab / classroom with a few dozen Macs (mostly PPC with some leftover 68040s)...and it was a Web server...and mail server...and I even let a friend use it as a Quake server...and....

Understood.

Anyway, I'd be astounded if something comparable built with modern
hardware and software didn't perform just fine.

I see your point, though I must admit that I'm generally only astounded when computers do what they're supposed to without my having to go for the sledgehammer...

Actually, that's pretty much why I'm going with OpenBSD for this: it's way more likely to just _keep_ working than the other options & it tends to do what I tell it to with a minimum of fuss.

Thanks,
-Kit
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"...qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
(...if you would have peace, be prepared for war)
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Visit your host, monkey.org