C-Media audio mixer problems

I'm trying to use some sound applications on a 3.1 i386 system with a
CMI8738 sound chip integrated on the motherboard.  I can get sounds
to play, but I cannot do anything that involves the mixer.
Running aumix gives:
# aumix
aumix:  MIXER_READ
#

running peepd (for which I'm working on a port) dies when it attempts
to initialze the mixer.

Relevant dmesg lines:
cmpci0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0 "C-Media Electronics CMI8738/C3DX Audio" rev 0x10: irq 10
audio0 at cmpci0

I found these two posts:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0105/msg01693.html
Which seems to have had the same problem on 2.9

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/bugs/0201/msg00199.html
which seems like it probably is the same problem, I'm guessing on 3.0,
based on the date.

Neither of them received any responses to the list.
Any suggestions?
--
Jeff Rosenberger			jtan.com PFY
jar_(_at_)_{jtan_(_dot_)_com,wpi.edu}                	WPI CS 2004