Re: netmask of alias IP

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Ben Goren wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 08:00:35AM -0600, RJ45 wrote:
> > what is the correct netmask to assign using ifconfig on an alias
> > IP  Address ??  is it or  it must  be the  same
> > netmask as the primary IP address assigned to the interface ??
> This is clearly documented in FAQ 6.1.3:
>     http://openbsd.trumpetpower.com/faq/faq6.html#Setup

unfortunately that FAQ doesn't have an example of an alias on a different

you can specify different netmasks for ip's on different subnets.  i have
an internal and an external ip bound to my workstation's ethernet device.
both have netmasks of, and both ranges are local for my

> Please also read:
>     http://www.trumpetpower.com/Rants/Netiquette#homework

oh, and thanks for your efforts in providing these docs, Ben.

> Cheers,
> b&
> --
> Ben Goren
>  mailto:ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com
>  http://www.trumpetpower.com/
>  icbm:33o25'37"N_111o57'32"W
> [demime 0.98d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

going on vacation,

Visit your host, monkey.org