Re: Restart SSH Remotely?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:41:23PM -0500, Steve Halligan wrote:

> >This  is  probably one  of  those  "Duh!" questions,  but  here
> >goes: I've installed OpenSSH 3.3, and  now want to stop the old
> >sshd and start the new one.  I'm not physically at the machine,
> >though.  Since I'm connected through ssh, if I kill the current
> >sshd, will  the current  sshd child  processes also  be killed?
> >(If so,  I won't  be able  to run  the new  sshd!)  Or  will be
> >connection still be OK?
>
> The answer is:  If you Kill sshd, you connection go bye bye.

As Henning just stated, it  won't. If you killed the child process
that's controlling your connection...but there's no need to do so.

> do this:
>
> 1) Connect via ssh
> 2) Fire up telnetd

STOP! STOP! STOP! DO NOT  RUN TELNET A  TELNET SERVER EXCEPT  IN A
MOST CAREFULLY CONTROLLED AND  SECURE ENVIRONMENT! THE INTERNET IS
NEITHER CONTROLLED NOR SECURE!

> 3) Disconnect ssh
> 4) connect via telnet

STOP! STOP! STOP! DO     NOT    ****EVER****     PERFORM    REMOTE
ADMINISTRATION OVER TELNET!

> 5) kill and restart sshd
> 6) disconnect telnet

Even if  you were to take  the astoundingly idiotic path  of using
telnet for this, there's no need to disconnect. TCP/IP allows tens
of  thousands  of  simultaneous  connections  between  two  hosts,
including every imaginable protocol. Disconnect  at this point and
you could well  be just as screwed as if  you improperly restarted
your ssh process in the first place.

> 7) connect via ssh
> 8) If it works ok, kill telnetd

Just kill telnetd, period.

Please, please don't give such bad advice!

b&

--
Ben Goren
 mailto:ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com