Solved, sort of, was Re: How to translate cylinders/heads/sectors to what OpenBSD disklabel wants

Hello all,

It turns out the problem is related to the motherboard.
Unfortunately, I would really have to rip apart the system to be able
to tell you what kind of motherboard it is.

As it is, my IDE cables are in a much more orderly arrangement now.

I still think that OpenBSD should have detected cylinders above 1023,
just as Linux and the BIOS did.

But the disk, when plugged into one of the IDE slots which support
UDMA/66 is properly detected under OpenBSD.  I have not tested this
but I suspect that disks connected to these slots cannot be used to
boot.  They do not appear in the BIOS listing.

This motherboard has four IDE connectors, two of which do not support
UDMA/66.  It appears that OpenBSD will only support up to around 8GB
on these non-UDMA/66 slots, that is, if disklabel cooperates.

I returned the old 6.5GB drive to service.  It has, so far, been
reliable.  (It was the more recent 15GB drive which absolutely had to
go.)  I just then had to create /usr and /var partitions on the new
40GB disk and restore their contents.