Re: How to translate cylinders/heads/sectors to what OpenBSD disklabel wants

Hello,

I had to dig into my remote queue on another system to find the
response from Thorsten Glaser <tygs_(_at_)_netcologne_(_dot_)_de>.  Fortunately, I'm
a little better with qmail than I am with disk geometry.

Thanks, Thorsten, for the response.

> As this is my mail server, I'm presently unable to receive your
> benfell_(_at_)_starshine_(_dot_)_org

He suggested, 'specifically you want "b <RET> 0 <RET> * <RET>".'

When I do this (in disklabel), I get:

bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 17
tracks/cylinder: 8
sectors/cylinder: 136
cylinders: 1024
total sectors: 139264
free sectors: 139264

This is only slightly better than when I told it to use the disk
geometry with "g d", rather disappointing for a 40GB disk.

> When I tell it to use the disk geometry, it reports:
>
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 17
> tracks/cylinder: 8
> sectors/cylinder: 136
> cylinders: 1024
> total sectors: 139264
> free sectors: 128457
>
> If I understand correctly, this translates to something on the order
> of 71MB total.
>
> Disturbingly, it apparently only sees 128457 free sectors even though
> the whole disk is supposed to be available for this installation.
> That would give me something like 65MB for the installation.
> Unsurprisingly, this is not enough.

He also suggested that I should read the man page.  Unfortunately,
this really doesn't shed any light on the problem for me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell_(_at_)_parts-unknown_(_dot_)_org