Re: XFS from SGI and OpenBSD

On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 01:04 AM, Ted U wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Greg Thomas wrote:

Yes, but using, and being able to mount and read are two entirely
different things. With Linux there are several choices for using a
filesystem, AFAIK with OpenBSD there is only one choice, FFS. With both
Linux and OpenBSD there are obviously many choices for mounting and
reading filesystems.

I thought I understood the above, but I read it again and got a completely
different interpretation. Can you explain another way, maybe with more
concrete examples?

One point I have, you can run an entire OpenBSD system with only ext2fs.
No need for FFS, though such a configuration is atypical.

Maybe this is more precise. The Linux section is providing me with info on what the native OpenBSD filesystem, FFS, uses instead of journalling. It's not telling me which filesystems OpenBSD is capable of reading or not reading. The kernel configuration info gives me a much better idea of it's filesystem capabilities.

PS I read the list, only one copy of the message is necessary.

Aye aye. Reply to all is just so much easier than fixing up the headers.

Yep.

Greg

Visit your host, monkey.org