Comprehensive discussion of the kernel compile process

Does a document or suite of documents exist that discusses the kernel
build process?  In particular I am trying to see how components from
sys/dev/ic get incorporated into the build as I am currently trying to
build a device driver in sys/dev/isa but components it depends upon in
sys/dev/ic are not being built.

Any pointers would be much appreciated---I'd like to come to
understand the process in general as well as solve this specific
issue.

--
Brad Murray    * Always carry a short length of fibre-optic cable. If
Perl Geek      * you get lost, then you can drop it on the ground, wait

Visit your host, monkey.org