Re: Security: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

> I'm curious as to the development community's reaction
> to this claim.  I recently (and quite accidentally)
> started a thread on the Nessus list about running
> Nessusd under a non-root user and the upshot is that a
> lot of exploits need to try low ports and such, so
> Nessusd is not really effective if it runs without
> that capability.  Nmap needs root too and Nessus needs
> Nmap.

Nmap is a totally separate issue.  Nmap needs root because it needs to
have a raw interface to the socket so it can create its whacky
packets.  Letting users do that is probably not good.  Letting
non-root users bind to port 80, however, is a good thing.  Those old
restrictions no longer serve any positive security purpose and they
mean that a weakness in any of the standard servers (web, mail, ssh,
pop, anyything) can result in a root compromise.  It's all downside
and no upside that I am aware of.

> Is this really a legacy decision that should be
> canned?

Yes.  They are a hold-over from days long-gone.  Many on the OpenBSD
group are very traditionalist however.

>From a a capabilities point of view, the idea would be to have "bind
to Port X" be its own capability.  That would be the right way to
segregate things.

Visit your host, monkey.org