Re: creating the null, random and srandom devices in a chrooted bind 9 install

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, B Royce wrote:

> Linux systems, we can use the following commands:
>
> # mknod /chroot/named/dev/null c 1 3
> # mknod /chroot/named/dev/random c 1 8
> # chmod 666 /chroot/named/dev/{null,random}
>
> For FreeBSD 4.3, this is:
>
> # mknod /chroot/named/dev/null c 2 2
> # mknod /chroot/named/dev/random c 2 3
> # chmod 666 /chroot/named/dev/{null,random}
>

> I tried the Linux commands (but the chroot is /var/named) and I have a feeling that the dev/null may not be working and the dev/random or dev/srandom is not, as i get the following from named in the daemon logfile when named starts.

Why would you think Linux commands would work on OpenBSD?

> Dec 19 10:46:09 ns2 named[9557]: could not open entropy source /dev/srandom: file not found
>
> I have not yet tried the FreeBSD 4.3 commands yet and wanted to see if I could get more info...
>
> I looked at the dev/MAKEDEV files and if I am correct it appears that c 2 2 is correct for the null device and c 45 0 is for random and c 45 1 is for srandom:
>
> So if that is correct I can run this to make the new ones:
>
> # mknod /var/named/dev/null c 2 2
> # mknod /var/named/dev/random c 45 0
> # mknod /var/named/dev/srandom c 45 1
> # chmod 666 /var/named/dev/{null,random,srandom}
>
> is this correct for OpenBSD and how do i remove the incorrect ones from the Linux info above that was incorrectly placed in the system?
>
> can I just rm null and random before creating them with the corrected device info above?

Yes, you should be able to remove them.  Then use the appropriate numbers
you have just above.  Also, on my OpenBSD install the above devices are
chmod 644.  Don't know if this will help you as others have given you more
general advice with different approaches.

And please wrap your lines to an appropriate number.

Greg

Visit your host, monkey.org