What should be a simple Perl problem

I have done my homework on this problem and still can't find an
answer, so if you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Something is wrong with my Perl interpreter on my OpenBSD 2.8 machine.
 The same script that works fine on other systems fails miserably on
 my OpenBSD machine:

# ./pinger.pl
syntax error at /usr/libdata/perl5/Symbol.pm line 96, near ") &&"
Can't use global @_ in "my" at /usr/libdata/perl5/Symbol.pm line 103, near "(@_ "
syntax error at /usr/libdata/perl5/Symbol.pm line 108, near "}"
Compilation failed in require at /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.6.0/IO/File.pm line 110.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.6.0/IO/File.pm line 110.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/libdata/perl5/FileHandle.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/libdata/perl5/Net/Ping.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/libdata/perl5/Net/Ping.pm line 18.
Compilation failed in require at ./pinger.pl line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./pinger.pl line 2.
#

My question:  Does anyone know what this problem is and how to resolve
it without re-installing Perl?  Second, if I have to, how do I re-install perl on my
2.8 machine?  I had no luck finding the Perl package.  Is it a port
that is easily re-installed?  I couldn't find it on the Ports pages.

Thanks in advance for any help.  It would be much appreciated.

-jason

Visit your host, monkey.org