From: "Chuck Yerkes" <chuck_(_at_)_snew_(_dot_)_com>
To: "Lawrence Johnson" <admin_(_dot_)_desertstars_(_at_)_verizon_(_dot_)_net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: Telnet / User access priviliges

when i adduser, and use that user to log in on telnet, his access rights

are

pretty much none.  I don't know what group to add him to to give him

access,

I tried wheel but that doesn't work.

I'm trying to understand what specific problem you are having.

"His access rights are pretty much none"

What fails?

I'd suggest some Unix reading for you. Specifically the outstanding book by Evi Nemeth (prof at U Colo) and friends: "System Administration Handbook".

RE: SSH
Perhaps play with telnet, but there are a bunch of ssh clients
out there for Mac Classic and Windows (unix just uses ssh).
MacSSH (macssh.org?) and teratermssh (google for ttssh) are free.

sshd (the daemon runs by default on OpenBSD boxes).

Quoting Lawrence Johnson (admin_(_dot_)_desertstars_(_at_)_verizon_(_dot_)_net):

Chuck,
Thanks for your concern, but I am the ONLY operator on my LAN.  Somebody
would have to break into my home in order to f* up my servers.  Yes, the
telnet is internal and it is secure.  I dont know the FIRST thing about

rsh

or ssh, or even rlogin, except for what it does.  I tried researching

it,

but it seemed like it was more complicated than it would be valuable to

me

at this point.  I will learn ssh, but for now, I need telnet to work for

me.

: )

when i adduser, and use that user to log in on telnet, his access rights

are

pretty much none.  I don't know what group to add him to to give him

access,

I tried wheel but that doesn't work.

And one more question, I could probably figure out how to work an ssh
client, but how do I run an ssh server?

Thanks Chuck