"Using Disk: 0 Partition: 3" problem

Hopefully someone will be able to help me here.

I have a number of machines that just refuse to boot. The boot loader says "Using Disk: 0 Partition: 3" and just stops. I understand that this could either be a BIOS or Disk Geometry problem. I tried starting up from the CD and doing "boot hd0a:/bsd" to start up from the HDD, but no go. (It results in an error. Same with boot sd0c:/bsd etc.) I tried using MS-DOS fdisk (A:\fdisk /mbr) which results in "missing operating system". I tried EasyBoot, which doesn't work either. (Haven't gotten around to Lilo yet.)

I tried the installer CD, dropped into shell, and mounted the hard disk. It mounts fine, and everything that was installed earlier shows up. fdisk shows that the active partition is correct. I'm pretty much clueless.

I have 3 different machines, each with the same problem. The hardware is as follows:
Intel 440GX+ motherboard & AMI MegaRAID express 300 (RAID 1)
Intel 440GX+ motherboard & AMI MegaRAID express 500 (RAID 5)
Intel ServerWorks (?) motherboard & AMI MegaRAID express 500 (RAID 5)
(The RAID cards are set to "Mass Storage" mode and are recognized, and work with the ami* driver.)

What they all have in common is the use of one flavor or another of the AMI MegaRAID card, and I'm assuming that "LAN-Console 2.0" (displayed upon starting the machine) is the BIOS, which all 3 use.

I wish I could test this without the RAID card (just a SCSI or IDE drive) to determine if it has anything to do with the PCI card, but unfortunately I don't have any spare hardware to do this with.

Anyone have any ideas? Any vital information I should be telling y'all? (This is likely, since I've been at the suckers for 48 hours now and am probably not thinking straight....)

Jon

Visit your host, monkey.org