RE: idea? Using dmesg to build new kernel from generic one

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=98595413129059&w=2

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Verhagen [mailto:pverhagen_(_at_)_sapl_(_dot_)_ab_(_dot_)_ca]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 11:43 AM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: idea? Using dmesg to build new kernel from generic one

I just finished compiling a new kernel for my OpenBSD firewall (I know, for
a firewall its not really needed, but I _need_ the practice). Like a good
boy I followed the FAQs and the afterboot man page (kudos to the ppl who
main it btw) and noticed that it compiled in alot of devices that I would
problably never use. My question is this this:

Is there a way to serperate out some core/chipset (in this case I am using a
Older Compaq with Intel FX chipset and wouldn't need the PCI/IDE drivers
from the likes of SiS, VIA & ALi) devices from the compilation process?
Ideally taking the output from the dmesg and turning that into a format that
could compile a new kernel.

Thanks,
Peter Verhagen