Re: Significant words in Theo's interview

I tried to leave this alone, but I guess I'm just too weak...

At 7:52 AM -0600 11/29/01, marco wrote:
I agree with Marina but I took it a step further. I refuse to use
"white" boxes (self-made). I always use branded ones like Dell, Sony
etc. Those guys use proven technology and they actually perform
interoperability testing on their boxes.

Since ^#$%%^# when?!? My very first experience with a Dell was reinstalling NT over & over before finally finding out that the NIC that it came with blue-screened the system when AppleTalk was enabled. I've never used Sony computers due to my awful experiences with their consumer electronics, but I just had to build my own server when too much of the IBM box we had lying around was unsupported.

I was a religous self-builder
but after I gave up on it I found myself less on support sites looking
for obscure drivers or fixing weird problems.

Why were you using hardware that needed obscure drivers? You had complete freedom to spec whatever you wanted!

Also without wanting to start a flame war here, I prefer to use intel
branded stuff for *NIX boxes. AMD and the other clone processors makers
do not cross test their stuff. They ONLY test in the windows space.

And Intel tests with OpenBSD? I can't really talk here, my first AMD box is only half-built, but I wouldn't be building an AMD box if I didn't know that people are using them successfully in production.

I do love those cute 1U SMP boxes from Dell. They make fantastic *NIX
servers!

I'll take your word for it, but I bet I could build one just as good for two thirds of the price.

No flame intended, I just disagree rather strongly with your opinion on this.

-Kit
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"...qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
(...if you would have peace, be prepared for war)
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus