Re: slow network

> When I ssh to my obsd box, it often hangs for over a minute before
> proceeding with the shell prompt.

It seems like ssh on your gateway is quering the external nameservers
for a the hostname of the local client.

On the gateway change /etc/resolv.conf to query no namesevers or maybe
setup  a  local one.

Then change the /etc/resolv.conf files on the other hosts to match the
the external nameservers you're using

Also change /etc/dhclient.conf on the gateway not to request namerservers

Possible setup for dhclient.conf
------
send dhcp-lease-time 86400;
supersede host-name "you're hostname";
supersede domain-name "you're domainname";
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;
require subnet-mask, routers;
prepend domain-name-servers 10.0.1.10;

				-> change this to a local nameserver
--------