RE: Name of OpenBSD daemon

oops, the correct link starts "... work ... " not word.

http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster?isindex=daemon&method=exact

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Wahle [mailto:wahle_michael_(_at_)_emc_(_dot_)_com]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 10:34 AM
To: 'Frode Hatlevik'
Cc: 'misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org'
Subject: RE: Name of OpenBSD daemon

Frode,

While I do respect your beliefs, I must point out
that you are attacking the wrong folks.  The use
of the word "daemon" goes way back in the unix/computer
world and is a universal term used by everyone.  It
is not limited to OpenBSD2.7, as you can find it in
all versions of Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, Linux, BSD,
NetBSD, OpenBSD, NT, W2K and all other operating systems.

You also chose to only include definations of the word
daemon that suit your own needs, (unfortunate).  Let me
help you to better understand the word daemon.

from the online dictionary :

http://word.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster?isindex=daemon&method=exact

Scrolling down you will find a definition of the word daemon
as it fits in the computer world.  (and I quote)

 "..... as the acronym Disk And Execution MONitor ......"

You should not find usages of such words threatening to your
way of life.  After all the word Unix was created _after_ the
word "euniq" (i know the spelling is wrong on this one), was
turned down as it was not a "socialy acceptable word".  The
original creators did not intend to create shock in the world
about them, but to accurately describe processes/products/etc ...
with words that implied humor.

Please don't hold the computer world guilty of being off the path
of the light, as I will point out that the words "Demon, kill, death,
plague, disease, Devil, Satan, Beast, pestilance" and a ton of
other non-path-of-light words are used in the Bible.

--mike