oddities...hacked?

I have a couple of boxes out there, one running 2.8 and 2.9. I haven't been entirely diligent about keeping them patched, but they aren't critical boxes....anyway shame on me.

I've noticed one (the 2.8) is acting extremely sluggish. Very slow FTP transfers and very slow HTTP.

At first I thought it was line trouble, so I ssh'd into the 2.9 box (on the same collision domain) to try an FTP transfer. Still slow.

So I thought it might be the hub between the two. But what's wigging me is that the 2.9 box' shell prompt appears like:

TEXT,#

After logging in. This looks awfully suspicious to me. Combined with the overall slowness, I'm wondering if someone has compromized these systems and messed with them.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks
-Mike