Re: Comcast/@Home cable modems with OpenBSD/ connected finally

I think I resolved my own problem .............

I changed the line in ipnat.rules from -

>> map dc0 192.168.0.0/24  -> dc0/32  portmap  tcp/udp  10000:20000

map dc0 192.168.0.0/24 -> "my-comcast-ip-address"/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:20000

and also pinged the news server and mail server to get their actual IP address, and entered those in the news and e-mail program setup, and all worked fine after that.

I don't know technically what did the trick; I don't see how using numerical IP addresses would have solved the problem (if I could ping it with the host name, and get the IP address, I don't think it would be a DNS problem (?)), but the small change in ipnat.rules doesn't seem that significant either.

If someone can answer the question "why", I'd love to hear it.

Paul Greene

and then all the systems had no problem at all connecting to web access. No firewalling has been enabled yet (that'll be the next step).

All web access to the rest of my home LAN worked great (6 systems total; a mix of Windows, Linux, and Openbsd), and I'm able to retrieve e-mail from my old ISP no problems.

However, I can't get through with any newsgroup access now, at least using Free Agent on the Win2K box. The error message is "you do not have connect permissions in the access file". I suspect the NAT on the OpenBSD box is messing up the newsgroup connection. I did call the @Home tech support; naturally they didn't have a clue as to what to do with it.

Anyone know of a solution?

Paul Greene