Installing MySQL: unlimit maxproc doesn't work

Hi,

I've tried to install the mysql server from
ports on a patched OpenBSD 2.9 computer with

    make SUBPACKAGE=-server install

but it failed with the message that /bin/sh is
unable to fork. So I've decided to increase the
maxproc limit, but it doesn't work (in tcsh):

    pref# whoami
    root

    pref# limit
    cputime         unlimited
    filesize        unlimited
    datasize        1048576 kbytes
    stacksize       32768 kbytes
    coredumpsize    unlimited
    memoryuse       481576 kbytes
    descriptors     1024
    memorylocked    481576 kbytes
    maxproc         532

    pref# unlimit -h maxproc

    pref# unlimit maxproc

    pref# limit
    cputime         unlimited
    filesize        unlimited
    datasize        1048576 kbytes
    stacksize       32768 kbytes
    coredumpsize    unlimited
    memoryuse       481576 kbytes
    descriptors     1024
    memorylocked    481576 kbytes
    maxproc         532

I've looked into my GENERIC.pref (kernel config file, please see
http://home.t-online.de/home/Alexander.Farber/OpenBSD/GENERIC.pref ),
but I don't see anything looking like maxproc there or in the
included file ../../../conf/GENERIC. What should I do?

Regards
Alex