qmail witchcraft

hi

I'm running qmail and made a virtual domain and some virtual pop3 accounts with vpopmail.  I was running
qpopper and that worked for normal unix accounts, but the virtual
accounts failed: "-ERR authorization failed".  So I thought, well,
maybe qpopper can't authenticate the virtual accounts. So be it.  I'm
using... well... trying to use qmail-pop3d now... but with
qmail-pop3d, neither my unix accounts, nor my virtual accounts work...

[snip]

#telnet localhost 110
Trying 1.2.3.4 ...
Connected to test.com.
Escape character is `^]`.
+OK <<EMAIL: PROTECTED>>
user username
+OK
pass testpass
-ERR authorization failed

[/snip]

And the connection is closed...

I always get the "-ERR authorization failed" errormessage...

My pop3 line in /etc/inetd.conf is:

pop3            stream  tcp     nowait  root
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup compsec.be /var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

I'm using shadowed passwords, but since I used vchkpw in the past, I
know it can authenticate unix accounts... the virtual accounts made by
vpopmail are also shadowed, so I don't get the problem... its an authentification problem for sure...

If you have any idea what the cause could be, please feel free to
contact me...

best regards

Tom Van de Wiele

Visit your host, monkey.org