Re: XF4 and release(8) man page confusion

At 02:37 PM 9/17/2001 +0900, Yozo TODA wrote:

> reason to distinguish between them. (Isn't X11 no longer being actively
> developed?) Furthermore, there is a bad link in section 5; it refers to an
> image(1) man page, which does not exist.

someone posted in this list that X11 (not XF4) cvs tree is getting obsoleted.
where is image(1)? it should be imake(1). check it again.

My mistake in typing. I meant to say "imake", not "image". In any event, there is no man page for imake(1), contrary to the link in release(8) man page.

I think you can choose among two methods;

  1: cvs checkout and update the XF4 source tree and "make build".
     ("make release" is not necessary.)

This is useful information, and contrary to what many other posts said. I was able to successfully 'make build'. (I still wish I knew why everyone recommends to 'make release' if it is not necessary.) In any event, this "appears" to work because I can successfully run xf86cfg in GUI mode. However, when I run 'startx', X fails to start. The following are the trailing lines from the XFree86.0.log:

  (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
  (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
  (II)   Module class: XFree86 XInput driver
  (II)   ABI class: XFree 86 XInput driver, version 0.2
  (EE) No drivers available.

  Fatal server error:
  no screens found

The error message regarding "No drivers available" does not indicate what kind of drivers it is referring to. Can I infer from this message's proximity to the loading of the mouse module that this has something to do with my mouse? The mouse section of my XF86Config file looks like this:

  Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "Mouse1"
         Driver "mouse"
         Option "Protocol" "wsmouse"
         Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse0"
         Option "Emulate3Buttons"
  EndSection

Thank your for your reply to my original message and any additional assistance you can lend.