Re: US Congress already discussing bans on strong crypto (fwd)

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:31:05PM +0200, Han wrote:
> Darren Reed (avalon_(_at_)_cairo_(_dot_)_anu_(_dot_)_edu_(_dot_)_au) wrote:
> >    WASHINGTON -- The encryption wars have begun.
>
> There are so many ways to encode messages. Bin Laden is now using
> communication tools from the stone-age (smoke-signals?) And it is the
> most perfect encrytion possible. And it's untracable.

No, you are wrong here.  Clinton signed the export waiver to let Syria
buy high-tech encryption stuff.  Syria appears to have funneled some
of that equipment to bin Laden.

The bad part is, that encryption stuff that I as an American am not
able to buy from an American company was sold to bad guys somewhere
else.

One time pads are unbreakable but cumbersome.

> If they are trying to find a way to find terrorist this is not it.
> Those people are very flexible.

exactly.

./patrick

Visit your host, monkey.org