Re: Netscape won't honor my SPARC Type 4 numeric keypad

William Bulley <web_(_at_)_merit_(_dot_)_edu> wrote:

> I find it frustrating that the Netscape browser does not recognize
> pad to the extreme right of my Type 4 keyboard.

There are two sets of related keysyms:
1. <Up>, <Down>, etc.
2. <KP_Up>, <KP_Down>, etc.

The "KP_" prefix obviously stands for "keypad".  Basically, <Up>
is used for a dedicated cursor key, <KP_Up> for a keypad key that
can be switched with numlock between cursor and number.  Since a
Type 4 keyboard has a combined cursor/number keypad, the KP_ keysyms
are the correct mapping.

Netscape doesn't recognize the KP_ keys by default.  (Everybody
uses a pc105 keyboard with numlock always on, right?)  You may be
able to fix that with extensive changes to Netscape's application
defaults.  You can also wimp out and use xmodmap to put the plain
<Up>, <Down> etc keysyms on the respective keys, although that will
kill the ability to switch to numbers with numlock.