Re: ESD - sound is to slow

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 04:44:02PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:59:13AM -0500, Claus Heiko Niesen wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > A guy from the local LUG group informed me that /dev/audio is not a generic
> > sound device and it accepts only .au files (8-bit mono raw files running at
> > 11050 KHz).  No matter what I throw at /dev/audio, it will always attempt
> > to interpret it as if it's such a sound stream.  I guess I was on the wrong
> > track with /dev/audio.
> This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. /dev/audio + /dev/audioctl
> is a perfectly generic sound device.

He's right in a way.  When /dev/audio is opened it will ensure that the
sound thingy is setup for .au files but that doesn't mean you can't then
change the settings for something else.

/dev/sound, on the other hand, will not configured itself for anything
(IIRC) and will remember the previous settings.

> [...]
>
> > I'm trying to run Enlightenment and besides the sound everything is working
> > fine.  It would really be nice to get the sound working as well. Does
> > anybody have any tips, hints or solutions?
> There is an esd port in the ports tree. Why not start by looking at it ?

Certainly works for me.

Visit your host, monkey.org